- 4 oz. sweet Italian sausage (or Apple Chicken Sausage found @ Trader Joe's)
- ½ c. chopped onion
- 1 pumpkin
- ½ c. chopped Granny Smith apples
- ¼ c. white wine
- 1 c. quinoa
- ¼ c. dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 4 small pumpkins
- Make the stuffing: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Decase and crumble the sausage meat and place it in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the sausage until it is almost done -- about 8 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan, increase heat to medium, and add the onion and 2 cups of the chopped pumpkin. Sauté until the pumpkin begins to soften -- 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chopped apple and sausage and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the wine, cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat, and set aside. Combine the quinoa, dried cranberries, olive oil, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add meat mixture to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Bake the pumpkins: Evenly fill the hollowed-out pumpkins with the stuffing mixture and place the pumpkins in a shallow baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, bake for 25 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.